Early active motion –
Belfast method or regimen
- Splint – from elbow to the fingertips
- Wrist – midflexion
- MCPJ – <90°
- IPJ – straight
- Exercise started 48 hours after surgery
- 2-passive movement f/b 2 active movement @ 2-hour interval
1st week –
- PIPJ active flexion for 30°
- DIPJ active flexion for 5-10°
- Subsequent week – range of motion gradually increased.
- Splint removed after 6 weeks.
- Modification of Belfast – “Billericay regime”
- MCP and wrist in 30° flexion
- 10 active finger flexion – hourly
Splint removed at 5th week
Nantong regimen (active-passive method) –
- Splint –
- Wrist – 20-30 flexion
- MCPJ – slight flexion
- IPJ – extension
- Exercise start 3-5th day after surgery.
0-2.5 weeks –
- Actively flex the finger with gentle force (not uncomfortable) x 20-30 times x 4 times a day
- Begin exercise with passive flexion first – 10-20 times before doing active flexion.
- Full active extension is particularly encouraged.
2.5 – 5.5 weeks –
- New splint given with wrist in 30° extension.
- Finger flexion exercise both active and passive
- Passive flexion for full range of flexion
- Active flexion as far as possible without much force.
6th week –
- Full active finger flexion
- Splint is removed and used only in night
8th week –
- Splint discontinued.